Travis County Medical Society and its members have a long history of collaborating on many fronts to address medical standards, ethics, training, public health issues and community needs.
Today, the Society has more than 3,800 physician members of all specialties and practice settings including private and academic physicians, residents in training and retired physicians. The Society endeavors to uphold high standards of medical practice, professionalism and ethical conduct, to represent and promote the common interests and unity of physicians and to sponsor programs and activities to address local needs and contribute to a healthier community. In fact, the Society has a long history of actively collaborating on many fronts to address needs in the local community.
In 1951, TCMS members founded what today is The Blood and Tissue Center of Central Texas, the exclusive non-profit provider of therapeutic blood components and services.
In 1955, the Society created a subsidiary answering service that today, operating as the Medical Exchange, is a modern, full service call center providing 24/7 coverage for the medical community.
In 1971, the Society established a non-profit Foundation that operated ACGME-accredited community-based graduate medical education (GME) programs until 1998 when program sponsorship was transferred to Seton. In 2016, those community-based programs established by the Society and expanded by Seton became university-based GME programs of the University of Texas at Austin Dell Medical School.
The TCMS Foundation in 2002 launched Project Access, a coordinated system of volunteer physician care, hospital care, medications assistance and diagnostic services for low-income, uninsured residents of Travis County. The TCMS Foundation also provides free athletic physicals to uninsured and underinsured Austin Independent School District student athletes, and it also provides scholarships each year to two Texas medical students from Travis County.